Eliminating Sexual HIV Transmission
Preconception care and safer conception counseling offer a unique opportunity to embrace the reproductive health rights of HIV-affected couples while maximizing the health of both partners, preventing sexual and vertical HIV transmission, and preventing unplanned pregnancies.
Did you know?
- The CDC estimates there are 140,000 heterosexual, HIV-mixed status couples in the U.S.
- Half of these mixed-status couples desire children
- Pregnancy increases both the risk of HIV transmission and acquisition. 85% of HIV+ women report at least one unplanned pregnancy
On October 10, Shannon Weber, from the Bay Area Perinatal AIDS Clinic and one of our CBA experts, hosted a webinar with Dr. Cori Blum from the Chicago Department of Public Health and Caroline Watson, a BAPAC/PRO Men Outreach Volunteer.
Webinar recording and presentation slides now available! Click ‘Read More!’
During the webinar, participants learned about:
- PRO Men (Positive Reproductive Outcomes for HIV+ Men), an innovative initiative of the Bay Area Perinatal AIDS Center (BAPAC) and San Francisco General Hospital’s Ward 86 HIV Clinic
- The BAPAC/PRO Men approach to integrated reproductive health including PrEP, safer conception and family planning
- Lessons learned on the road toward the elimination of sexual HIV transmission
- Coalition-building in Chicago around HIV, reproductive, and sexual health
- Building community engagement through consumer participation
Participants also engaged in a lively online conversation on Twitter under the #HIVLoveWins hashtag. You can continue the conversation online and take a listen to the webinar below!
Find the webinar HERE!
A PDF slide deck from the webinar can be found here!