We provide free, customized, peer-to-peer capacity building assistance in high-impact HIV prevention to health departments in the West Region of the U.S. in Non-Clinical HIV Testing and Prevention for HIV Negative Individuals.
We provide capacity building assistance through: information dissemination, customized technical assistance (online and in-person), and through interactive Institutes and Learning Communities, peer-to-peer mentoring, site visits, evidence-based resources and toolkits, and state of the science webinars.
How we can help:
Customized Technical Assistance
Our customized technical assistance incorporates a peer-to-peer model with a focus on what your health department or community-based organization needs and who can best provide it.
Some examples of the technical assistance we provide include:
- Strategizing on how to target HIV testing to priority populations in a local jurisdiction.
- Working with health departments and community-based organizations around policy and logistics of increasing the uptake of PrEP.
- Helping script a conversation for health departments and community-based organizations to talk to clinical providers in their jurisdiction about PrEP.
Our customized technical assistance is provided through the CDC CBA Tracking System (CTS) request process. CDC funded organizations should check with their project officer, then submit a CTS request at https://wwwn.cdc.gov/CTS.
If your organization is not currently funded by the CDC, contact a CDC-funded health department in your jurisdiction and they will submit a CTS request for you. A list of health department CTS users, who can submit CTS requests on behalf of other organizations, can be found at the Health Department CTS Users tab on https://wwwn.cdc.gov/CTS
Our CBA program also hosts a number of learning collaboratives for the HIV Prevention workforce.
These collaboratives meet for regularly scheduled video conference calls, where we discuss the latest in the state of the science. Learning communities are also an opportunity to discuss policy, guidelines, and to share our collective implementation experiences. These online collaboratives are also paired with a website containing a curated library of resources and discussion forums.
Email us at GetSFcba@sfdph.org to request to join our current Learning Communities on: High-Impact HIV Prevention for health departments, Public Health Detailing, and PrEP Navigation.
We provide online technical assistance through webinars and customized one-on-one sessions via videoconferencing. Some examples of our online learning opportunities include:
- A webinar on how to incorporate Home HIV testing into your local efforts.
- A collaborative online session with health department or community-based organization staff on advancing PrEP in pharmacies.
The National CBA Provider Network (CPN) provides virtual classroom trainings, which can be viewed and registered for from the National HIV Classroom Learning Center Training Calendar. To access these trainings, you must also be registered through CDC TRAIN, and the HIV CBA Learning Group (Step-by-Step Instructions here). Once registered, join the HIV CBA learning group, and use the HIV CBA Training Plan to complete CDC Train registration for your selected course. Classroom trainings can be scheduled on request. Email a request for training to RequestCDCTraining@caiglobal.org.
Information & Resource Sharing
We share tools, resources, and protocols that our CBA Specialists have developed in their HIV prevention work. Examples of some of the resources we can share include:
- San Francisco Department of Public Health’s PrEP training materials for clinicians.
- A slide deck explaining PrEP access and financing.
- Policies and Operations Manual for HIV/HCV testing in community-based settings.
- Additional resources are available and searchable by topic on the getsfcba.org resources tab.